What kids will do for ice-cream Confessions of a Homeschool Mom

Little J was struggling last summer to learn to count to twenty. He could do really well up to 13 and then he got muddled. If I helped him past 13 he did great and was able to finish. It really was a case of unlucky 13.

So I tried to think of a little incentive to help him want to practice...It was hot, we had just moved to a town that has a Baskin-Robbins and what 4 year old doesn't like ice-cream. So I told him if he could count to 20 with no mistakes I would take him for ice-cream. Sure enough less than a week later I was buying him a vanilla one scoop. While in the store he looked at me and asked...If I count to 30 can I have another. I smiled and said "Why don't we make it 50".

Well last week Little J came up to me one morning and said "I've done it! I can count to 50, when can we go for my ice-cream". Since we had a ton outside I said "Couldn't we wait till it's not freezing outside?" We agreed and then he smiled again and I knew something else was coming. "Can I get one more ice-cream if I count to 100!"

Man this kid is good! What's a Mom going to say to that. Plus since it took him six months to go from 20 to 50 so I figured I was safe. So I agreed.

Well the next morning I came out of my bedroom to find a grinning five year old sat at the breakfast table.

"I did it!" he said

"Did what?" I asked

"Counted to 100 for Dad!"

"Wow that didn't take you long!"

"I know, I was practicing all night, There is a pattern to it Mom! Did you know? Does that mean I get too ice-creams!"

"Yes, it sure does!"

So I know bribery doesn't work for everything and I have told him, no more ice-creams (well at least for counting).

He LOVES his ice-cream... but he will have to wait till it get's warmer.





©2011-2014 Chickensbunniesandhomeschool. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author Chickensbunniesandhomeschool.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPEFUL by Shelley Shepard Gray | Win a copy! Plus my Review

Magnificent Tales -Treasury of Bible Stories - Review and Giveaway

The Ultimate Blog Party #UBP13